Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I had a dream

We were in a coffee shop, but it was more like a Cost Plus or a Pier 1. There was a distinct sense of powerlessness—like I knew I was treading on thin ice and I’d better step carefully. She, on the other hand, was absolutely in control (of herself, the situation, even the server). I stood from the table and began to wander around the vendor stands. I wanted to look at the rings, but I was nervous about how that would appear, so I looked at bracelets, necklaces, earrings, hairclips.

When I found her again, just a few steps behind me and to the right, she was sitting at a booth looking at rings. She looked up at me and made a comment about how lovely they were and wouldn’t I like to look with her.

Inanna came up behind me and thought, “Who is this?” I could have thought my answer back to her, but instead I turned to look at her over my shoulder and said out loud, “I’ve been in love with her since I was 16 years old. This is Karen.”

I can’t remember the rest. I woke up with a bittersweet feeling in my memories. I haven't been able to shake it for days.