Sunday, November 18, 2007

Shameless Self Promotion

I don’t think I’ve posted any pictures of my Knit Picks projects lately. I have nearly a years worth—I can’t believe I’ve been so neglectful!

Some time last spring, I was hired to make a pair of socks. The second pair I’ve ever completed (the first were a pair for Robin’s birthday a couple years ago). I love, love, love these socks, but I don’t like wearing heel flaps. Once I’m confident enough in my sock-altering abilities (that is, once I finally stumble upon the ultimate Aimee Sock Pattern), I would consider making these again. The design is so cool!
Eesti Trail Hiking Socks

Here are some placemats I made this summer. Although I’d never made this project again (I don’t love them at all), I do love the yarn (CotLin) and would happily use it again in a heartbeat.
Placemats

I also did a quick felting project. Fortunately for me, since I don’t actually know how to felt, the folks at Knit Picks asked if I would send it unfelted so they could take pictures of the process and make up a felting tutorial. You betcha! Cute little bracelet, don’t ya think?
Tri Petal Flower Bracelet

Later this summer, they hired me to make a great hat. A real hat, with millinery wire and everything. It’s in the Holiday 2007 catalogue, for those of you who get that (the blue hat in the bottom left corner of page 19), but for some reason I can’t find it on their website—and wouldn’t you know I can’t get my scanner to work! Feh. Eventually I’ll have a picture to share.

Then in about August, if memory serves, I was commissioned to make three ginormous socks, the dimensions of which only made sense to me after I completed the first one. Kinda cute, huh?
Winter Lodge Stockings Kit

And last but by no means least, I’m currently making a sweater. It’s a beautiful retro-inspired pattern with a fitted waist, a detachable belt, and a deep collar done in a modified moss stitch using their Swish Superwash. Oh.My.God. I am a convert. I HEART Swish and will most certainly use it again and again and again. I can’t show you the progress on that one because I’m not sure what the rules are about showing projects before they’re published. But when the catalogue is issued, I’ll be sure to share it then.

And that’s the Knit Picks round up. I have personal knitting happening, too, but most of it is for gifts or commissioned, so no pictures yet. (But hint-hint, friends! I'm still unemployed and will happily knit or sew for you!)

In the meantime, know that I’m thanking you all daily for your fabulous thoughts, etc. regarding my dad. He’s getting better every day. He can scoot himself up in bed now, can sit up and swing his legs off the edge of the bed without assistance, and even managed to move from the bed to the chair without help (though we did stand pretty close by just in case). He had his first really good night’s sleep last night and as a result had a pretty fantastic day today. Oh, and he’s finally eating again. It’s not that he hasn’t had an appetite, just that the effort of chewing was too exhausting. Baby, baby, baby steps, but we’re getting there. I can’t talk about the emotions surrounding this. I don’t know which ones to address or even acknowledge. I’m just glad he’s still alive.

With the holiday this week, there are going to be lots of extra people at the house. Not sure when I'll be able to post again. If I can't before Thursday, I hope all my American friends have a wonderful Thanksgiving. And all you non-Americans or ex-pats, have a good week in general.

Big love.