Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Duck, Duck, Goose

I'm there all night. Deborah stays all day. He hasn't been extubated again yet, though the pneumonia is getting better. The original burns seem to be repaired and the emboli appear to be gone as well. Oh, and the surgery site on his belly is mostly healed (drains and staples all removed).

******
It is amazing to me how strong the body's urge is to remain diurnal. Even though it should be the middle of my "night", and even though I've been eating my meals at appropriately adjusted times, I awake around 1:00 every day with a shadow of a headache (need coffee) and a growling stomach (need food).

******
Yesterday, while he was pseudo-conscious, I told him his foot was hanging off the bed so he'd better be careful or he might goose his nurse.

His response: he wiggled his toes.

So yes, Michael, I did laugh out loud at that one.

To quote the politicians, we are "cautiously optomistic". I hate that phrase, but that's where we are.