Friday, September 21, 2007

Light Weekend Reading.

Ok, first of all, I’m not going to write much about this because I need it to stay close to the vest, but the salient point is that Em is in a new school (where she is MUCH happier) and her father is super pissed. So angry at me, in fact, that he’s stopped paying what he owes. At least, that’s how it looks from my perspective on the 21st of September without having yet received payment due on the 15th.

I’m not interested in comments about this issue either. If you’re burning with curiosity, you’ll just have to email me.

******************
On the Susan front: Most of the sisters have taken turns going out to be with her while she’s in rehab. This week, she’s been all alone and it’s not been good. She and her husband called on Tuesday and asked my mom to come back.

So mom is leaving Wednesday next week (the day after Kate’s husband’s 40th birthday!) and won’t be back until late October. A full month. We’re all a little nervous. Ok, well really, more like a lot nervous.

And last night we learned that Susan has to have surgery on her spine. The break that was present in C 4 or 5 or 6 (now I don’t remember and I’m too lazy to go back and look) isn’t healing properly—the vertebrae aren’t lining up the way they should. One is sliding under another. Or something like that. So although no one will say anything, we’re all scared. Spinal surgery is just an inherently scary thing.

The plus side of this is that when my mom came home last month, Sus couldn’t feed herself or even wiggle all her toes. Now it’s been reported that as of earlier this week she was able to feed herself 4 or 5 bites of food before she was too exhausted to continue.
Baby steps, but all moving forward.

I’m going to miss my mom. I wish I could go with her.

******************
I'm knitting a sweater for my dog. Kill me now—I've turned into one of THOSE PEOPLE!

But it's so flippin' cool. It has a skull and cross-bones on it. That makes me smile. Pictures when complete. I promise.

******************
Here’s the most exciting thing for me today.

Ok, not yet. First I want to give you a little background. If you have in-depth knowledge of diabetes already, you can skip this part.

A glycated hemoglobin test, also called HbA1c (or sometimes just “A1c”), provides a picture of average blood glucose over a 3-month period (as opposed to the snap-shot that daily finger poke testing provides).

As this article says, in most labs, the normal [non-diabetic] range is 4-5.9 %. In poorly controlled diabetes, its 8.0% or above, and in well controlled patients it's less than 7.0%. When I was diagnosed, I was in the high 11% region. Very scary, yes.

The first month after my diagnosis I spent learning how to test, how to eat, how to live with the disease. It took about a month for us to “get normal”, so now that I’ve been three months on regulated meds, I had my first A1c test last night.

My doctor was shooting for 7%. I figured I’d be pleased the first time around if I hit somewhere between 7% and 8%.

Folks, I would like to present to you proof of how amazing I am. My A1c came in at SIX.

Yeah, baby. That’s right. SIX!

I am a rock star.