Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It's all about me

I have reason to believe there are new readers here, so I thought I’d give a quick into to who I am and what I do.

Then I thought, “Hey, a 100-things-about-me list might be kind of fun.”

If you’ve been here for awhile, this shouldn’t be news to you. But thanks for sticking around anyway.

1. I was married once, but I got over it.

2. I donate blood because I can.

3. I sew because I breathe.

4. I knit because it helps me focus.

5. I am Emily’s mom because I got lucky.

6. I am a diabetic, recently diagnosed and determined to keep all my organs and appendages.

7. I have a master’s degree in English

8. I am an unmitigated language snob.

9. I am, however, not always right. But don’t correct my grammar.

10. I write legal documents. The kind that people ignore.

11. I like what I do, even if you find it boring.

12. I am a Cancer.

13. I turned 40 this year with a vengeance.

14. I have degenerative arthritis in my left knee and both thumbs.

15. I have almost no grey in my hair, but I love the strands I do have. I earned them.

16. My Live and In-Person BFF lives in Northern California and I miss her every day.

17. We hardly ever email or talk on the phone, but I know she is still My Person.

18. My email BFFs are all linked on this blog; they live in Brooklyn, Atlanta, and Boston.

19. Days we don’t share emails are incomplete.

20. I try to travel to at least one of them at least once a year.

21. This year it was postponed from October to January.

22. Next time, I want to take Emily with me.

23. I was born in New Orleans

24. My ex-husband is not Emily’s father.

25. That is not, however, the reason we got divorced.

26. At least, not the only reason.

27. I have a rare auto-immune blood disorder called “Anti-phospholipid Syndrome” (APS).

28. Because of that disease, Emily was my 10th pregnancy.

29. She is my miracle.

30. I have never successfully knit a pair of socks for myself.

31. Considering the above, I have a ridiculous amount of sock yarn in my stash.

32. I am currently knitting a sweater for my dog.

33. It has on it a skull and crossbones.

34. It cracks me up that this sweater simultaneously says, “I’m a tough little dude, but I’m a dog. In a sweater. So I’m still a complete pansy-ass.”

35. I swear like a sailor. Or a truck driver. And I don’t care, because they’re just words.

36. My favorite (cheating shortcut) Shakespeare quote is, “Words, words, words.”

37. I am prone to ear infections.

38. I am deaf in my left ear.

39. I am allergic to mushrooms.

40. I am allergic to watermelon.

41. I am allergic to grass.

42. I am allergic to cats.

43. I am allergic to bees.

44. I am allergic to soaps and lotions and scented things and loads more stuff, but this is getting boring.

45. I have studied the Bible.

46. I do not like organized religion.

47. I have sewn wedding gowns and formals for more than 20 years.

48. I do not sew for myself very often though.

49. I live in Portland but I miss California.

50. Sometimes I feel like the only California-to-Portland transplant who would move back home.

51. As a result, I don’t tell people how homesick I get sometimes.

52. My daughter, my mom, my sister, her husband, their two kids and I all live together.

53. Between the families, we have two dogs and a hamster.

54. Our house is a gorgeous 100 year old home with a wrap-around porch.

55. And a fully finished basement.

56. And 10-feet tall hedges on 2 sides.

57. I try to go meet people at least once a week.

58. I love living with my big extended family.

59. I didn’t live with them, I would probably spend every evening alone.

60. I have met some wonderful people the last few months.

61. I hope I’m able to foster some good, long-term friendships.

62. Every Friday night, we have an “open-studio” night.

63. Kate has 2 friends who always come.

64. (Kate is my older sister).

65. I ADORE them.

66. I think of them now as MY friends, too.

67. I think I’m right; they are my friends.

68. That makes me unreasonably happy.

69. Unreasonably happy is the best kind of happy. If there’s no reason for it, there’s no reason for it to end.

70. My daughter is not home-schooled, but she is unschooled.

71. Her father is not pleased with that decision.

72. I don’t care.

73. She is my miracle, but he was just my donor.

74. My mom calls him and his family “the Donor and the Outlaws”.

75. (A bad pun. We were never married, so they were never my in-laws.)

76. I knit samples for an on-line knitting magazine/supply company.

77. I want to say that again: People pay me money to knit for them!

78. Even though I’ve been doing it for a year, it still excites me.

79. I have never met in-person the people I interact with at that knitting supply company.

80. Within a year of leaving my ex-husband, I reached three of my goals: I had a baby; I bought a Volvo station wagon; and I bought a house.

81. I could never do any of those things with him; he was like an albatross.

82. His 49th birthday is coming up and I’ve heard that he’s still as much a loser as he ever was.

83. That’s too bad, because he had some potential 20 years ago.

84. The only thing I miss about being married is getting my back scratched.

85. That is not an euphemism.

86. Emily is getting quite good at back scratches as she gets older.

87. Emily’s birthday is one week before Christmas.

88. I went on maternity leave August 7th.

89. I hated being pregnant.

90. I love my daughter more than anyone or anything in the world.

91. Sometimes I call her “my dawdle”.

92. She has an amazing sense of humor.

93. And an amazing head of red curls.

94. I lived in Turkey for 2 years when I was a little girl.

95. My parents divorced when I was 11.

96. Occasionally I pretend to know sign language better than I actually do, but I usually get caught.

97. I am afraid to learn how to spin.

98. I am satisfied with my life.

99. Sometimes I have a hard time finishing what I start.

100.