Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Dark Side of The Moon

Emily and Storey are taking a children’s beginning Spanish class together on Wednesday evenings—last night was the first class, and so far they both love it! In the car on the way home, I asked Kate, “Why does your car smell like dog poo?”

With a laugh in her voice, Storey replied, “Because you and Emily are in it.”

So I retorted, “Woah—who’s the mean bitch in the back seat?!”

Emily, in all innocence, said, “That would be Storey.” (She didn’t understand when Storey, Kate and I all started laughing, but it really was funny.)

**********

Our fiscal year at work ends on January 31. That means we’re in the last week of our fourth quarter here. For those of you not familiar with corporate environments, let me just say that referring to us as “crazy-fucking-busy” would be an understatement. To that end, as I was driving to work this morning and thinking about the dark side of the moon, it occurred to that I have no idea where we are in our moon phase. I don’t think I’ve looked at the moon in a month or more. Very odd, to be so out of touch with the universe.

On the other hand, huge kudos to our IT staff. Despite the end-of-year craziness here, when my computer crashed yesterday, our guys were on it super fast. They determined I needed a re-build and set me up with a loaner. I figured it’d take a couple days, so you can’t imagine my surprise (in a very good way) when they returned my PC the very same afternoon! Which means this morning, I get a reprieve from the business so I can re-do all my settings. Shut up—that’s a totally legitimate way to spend an hour!

(Vince, when I sent a glowing email to their boss, I thought of you.)

**********

In other news, the California house sale seems to be going through this time. I’m a little afraid to count my chickens, but the buyers have already cleared all physical contingencies, and that’s usually the biggest hurdle. So in addition to the 3-day scrapbooking weekend we have planned in February (which, you know, is an annual thing for us), my mom and I have decided to take a trip to the UK this summer.

I spoke about it last night on the phone with Eric’s mom. The two questions were (1) do you want Em for 2 weeks this summer, and (2) would June 30-July 13 be an ok time for you? I knew everyone would give a resounding YES to the first question, and I was overjoyed to hear the same for the second. They’re not exactly sure what they’ll do with Em during the days, but Sandy was quick to point out that her husband is mostly retired now and she has a number of vacation days coming to her. So I think this is going to be a very good thing, though I’ll miss Emily. I’m thinking perhaps the Tower of London and St. James Gate (the Guinness brewery in Dublin) might be enough to distract me for a while.

**********

Finally, I will close with this taunt: You wish you could be me, but you can’t be me. You wish you could be me, but you can’t be me.

I’m going to Seattle on Saturday, with my mom, Emily, Kate, and Storey, to hook up with Varla and Seamus. Yeah, you heard me. I'm going to spend the day with bloggers and you're not. Nyah.

See, I told you, you wish you could be me.

We’ll bring Kate’s camera.

**********
And that, my friends, is all the news that’s fit to print. If work permits, I’ll post again soon. Otherwise, look for Seattle pics sometime early next week.