Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Gems

Last week after school:

Me: "Hey Emily, how was school today?"

Em: "Eh, it was boring. We did the same stuff we *always do." (*eyes rolling)

Bai-Yah: "What do you mean, Honey? Is it the same every day?"

Em: "Well, 'choice' time is fun, but then the teacher sits in the circle and goes, 'Blah, blah, blah'."

(Me stifling a laugh)

Bay-Yah: "Is she reading to you or talking to you or what?"

Em: "I don't know Bai-Yah. She just goes 'BLAH BLAH BLAH'!"

*********
Last Night At Dinner:

Me: "Em, what does that word say?" (pointing to a word on a water bottle)

Em: "It says 'deposit'."

Me: "How about that word?"

Em: "Umm Carbohydrate."

Me: "Wow, you know how to read all the words!"

Em: "Yeah. I can read exclusive, too, but I don't know what it means.

So of course all four adults explained to her what "exclusive" means.

Later that evening, at bedtime:
Em: "Mommy, am I the only little girl in the world who calls her grandma 'Bai-Yah'?"

Me: "As far as I know you are, Honey."

Em: "Oh good."

Me: "Why?"

Em: "Because I want to be exclusive."