Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Almost Perfect

Kate, her husband, and their 2 kids arrived on Sunday in their beautiful new Toyota Sienna. Mmm, I love that car!

Monday, we went into San Francisco to play. While enjoying a sushi lunch, the car was broken into and my cell phone was stolen (so, if I used to have your phone numbers and I haven't already asked, please email them to me again!). Drat.

Tuesday, we had one of those story-book sort of days. Seriously--the kind of thing you used to read about as a kid where "small-town USA" does up a July 4th celebration. We took a picnic of home-made fried chicken, potato salad, and chocolate chip cookies to the University campus.

There were a zillion people there, a variety of bands on the stage (and we decided that nothing says "Happy Independence Day" like a Mariachi band), loads of games for the kids--jumpy houses, face painting, free snow cones--and Starbucks coffee for the growed-ups. Mmmmmm.

The day culminated with a live orchestra and a breathtaking fireworks display. Even Emily, who has been scared of the noise every year previous, was overjoyed by the colors and lights. (Even Eric, who isn't part of this family really, had a fantastic time!)

Today we went to the swimming pool, then after a VERY late lunch, headed up to the farmer's market. We came home with peaches, plums, strawberries, blueberries, and some delicious looking breads (I'll confirm that tomorrow after we break into them).

Tomorrow we're taking the kids on a tour of a sticker-making factory; at the end of the tour, there's a hands-on piece and that should be fun. In the afternoon, it's back to the pool again.

Friday, we're heading up to the Real Goods store in Hopland. That'll be a blast. I understand there's a whole kids play area. Yay!

I don't want to think about Saturday yet because that's when they go home. I'm just having so much fun, let's hold off on that part for now, m-kay?

Really, I must say, except for the minor inconvenience of the cell phone, we're having just about a perfect holiday week. I don't think we could have planned it any better.

My family is awesome. I'm so fucking lucky.