Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Work Stuff

The company where I contract acquired another business a few months ago. One of their sales people decided not to stay on, so in a flurry of interviews and decisions, my boss has taken on that job and will be moving out of state very soon. Very, very soon.

In unrelated activity, his boss is also moving into a new job.

The upshot of this? Well, I now work 40 hours a week instead of 20, and I’m utterly overwhelmed with stuff. Every day I get another thing “handed off” to me (though honestly, right now it feels like dumping, not handing). No one is left to do any part of the contract administration except for me. My feelings about this are mixed.

I had a meeting yesterday at 2:30, after which I was going to go home, finish up some homework, then head to school. But someone interrupted the meeting to ask if I could come to another one at 3:00. ((sigh)) Ok.

I got to school at 4:50 instead of my usual 3:30 or so. I didn’t finish my homework for Thursday night’s class yet, though I did do more of it. I didn’t get to bed until midnight, but by that time I could hardly keep my eyes open.

This morning I had a 6:30 conference call, a 7:30 strategy meeting (quickie), and another conference call at 8:00.

I know I’m not the only person in our program who works full-time, and I’m sure I can do it, but the flurry has to slow down soon and I need to hit my stride. And I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be a regular employee with benefits and a salary. I'm tired of the uncertainty of contracting.

Until then, I may be more absent than usual—and possibly even more bitchy (pfft, as if that’s possible!).