Saturday, October 15, 2005

This Girl I Know

My best friend and I have another mutual friend, D. She's kind-hearted and caring right down to the core, but she's so indecisive sometimes we want to kill her.

Yesterday I found myself in the unique position of having a free afternoon. After an unsuccessful attempt at a nap, I decided to take Emily to a pumpkin farm instead. On a lark, I called D. to see if she could sneak out of work early.

She could and did! Ran over to her daycare, picked up her two kids, then came out to the farm. When they arrived, we all hopped on the hay ride to the pumpkin patch, where Em and D's son ran and ran and ran and ran while D and her baby daughter and I laughed and took pictures (none digital--so none to post today. Sorry), then we took the hay ride back to the farm.

After exploring the mini-museum, checking out the "general store", and spending too much time at the playground, we headed home. I invited D and her kids to join us for dinner. I've done that more than once. In the 7+ years I've known her, I can count the number of times she's been to my home on one hand.

Lo and behold--she DID come over! Emily, I have discovered, is as social as I am. She had an absolutely wonderful time having company over. I got to hold the baby through dinner ("got to" is a debatable term. Let's not discuss it). D had a wonderful time sitting at a dinner table without a kid on her for the first time in 3 years, and I think my mom even enjoyed the evening.

So we went from having no Friday plans to spending 3 1/2 hours at the pumpkin farm and having company for dinner! All in all, a wonderfully surprising start to the weekend.

Today, I go to my best friend's house. We're going to scrapbook all day long. Wait. I meant to say ALL.DAY.LONG. I may have to stop after hour 13. We'll see.

Tomorrow, back to homework.

Go enjoy your weekends & be nice to each other.