Friday, September 30, 2005

Money money money money money...

If the love of money is the root of all evil, then I am evil—because I DO LOVE money.

Gandhi said, “Capital as such is not evil; it is its wrong use that is evil. Capital in some form or other will always be needed.”

He was a smart man.

It’s true that money makes the world go round. I don’t need a huge amount of it to be comfortable, and I won’t chase after it to the detriment of myself or other people, but it is so nice to have enough money to do things like buy a present for a friend or pay for lunch for everyone or, I don’t know, pay the bridge toll for the guy behind you.

In “The Matchmaker”, Thornton Wilder said, “Money is like manure; it’s not worth a thing unless it’s spread around encouraging young things to grow.”

He was another smart man.

I have a hard time spending money on myself, but I do so love to spread it around to other people!

You know, Ben Franklin was a smart guy too, but I think he had some unresolved financial issues because I disagreed with every single quote of his about money. Most particularly this one: “Money never made a man happy yet, not will it. There is nothing in its nature to produce happiness.”

I know I was home alone so no one can confirm this statement, but when my financial aid check arrived yesterday, I was VERY happy. Very happy. I got my check. HAPPY!

I had more to post about, but I have to go pay some bills first. Here are a few other really good money quotes I’ll leave you with:

Thomas Wolfe: “You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.”

Errol Flynn: “Any man who has $10,000 left when he dies is a failure.”

Clinton Jones, “I have never been in a situation where having money made it worse.”

And my favorite, by Somerset Maugham, “The value of money is that with it we can tell any man to go to the devil. It is the sixth sense which enables you to enjoy the other five.”