Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Chit Chat

On Wednesday, before we went to the body thing that grossed out so many of you, my mom had a dentist appointment, so she brought Em by my new office. On our way home, we stopped by Jessica’s office (former roommate—office about 5 blocks away from mine) so Jess and Em could see each other for a few minutes.

While there, Jess asked if Em could come spend the night soon. Say, Friday. “Wow, really? Well sure!”

So Friday evening, I got the night off. Jess picked Em up around noon and swept her away. (Em was so excited she was just beside herself.) My best friend Jena came over—we had dinner ala mom (thanks, mom, it was delish!), then scrapbooked together for hours and hours.

Saturday, I ever-so-slowly made my way out of the house, finally picked up Em around noon, then headed down to San Jose.

MAN IT WAS HOT! I wasn’t expecting the heat. I don’t know why, it just didn’t even occur to me to check the weather. Ick. I don’t like heat.

Their other grandchildren were there, too (Eric’s brother and wife have two kids, Riley & Kelly), so we all, along with Eric’s grandma (his mom’s mom, whom EVERYONE calls Grandma Dot) headed off to the park for a picnic dinner. It was really pleasant! We found a table in the shade close enough for the kids to be in sight but far enough that their shouts didn’t drown out our conversations.

But the real treat, for Em and Kelly anyway, was on Sunday. Sandy and Tracy bought tickets to “Dora the Explorer Live”. Em *said* she wasn’t interested, but oh my god, she had such a great time! After the show, it was all I could do to hang on to her as she tried to wiggle her way up to the stage, “I gotta tell Dora something, Mom! It’s important!” I felt sort of mean telling her she couldn’t…

Later that evening, Riley & Kelly and their folks came back over to Em’s grandparents place where we all had bbq’d burgers together. About 8:30, Em and I hit the road. She was still amped from Dora so she stayed awake until after we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge (about an hour and 15 minutes after we left)—we sang silly songs together, told each other stories we made up about people in passing cars, and generally had a nice time just being together on the long-ish drive home. I sure do love that little person.

I always complain about going down to San Jose ‘cause it’s a pain in the ass and it absolutely kills my entire weekend, but I always have a good time. The only problem of course is that I didn’t get a lick of homework done. Not one tiny bit. Damn.

So now I’m sitting in the Starbucks across the street from the University. I’ve been here three hours and have made my way through a whopping 10 pages of my Contract Law book.

I haven’t finished my homework for Civil Procedure and Law. That class starts tonight. I read my syllabi wrong and did the homework in reverse order (I thought Contracts was tonight, so I did that homework first). I’m not sure if it’s better to go skip class altogether than to go unprepared, or to go get the lecture and just fess up and take the hit if the professor calls on me. I have 2 more hours to decide what I’m going to do.

In the meantime, I can’t decipher any more of this legal crap and my butt hurts from the hard wooden chair. I’m going home.