Wednesday, June 15, 2005

About 6 weeks ago, I emailed a guy who used to work Company A (my old company). I told him I wanted to take him out to lunch and share with him a proposal I had to save his company some money. He replied right away, letting me know he's the Business Development dude, not the Business Operations dude--but he gave me the Bus.Ops. dude's name & email address.

So I emailed that guy (his name is Bill, by the way). It took him a little more than a week to get back to me, but since my best friend works at Company B, I knew that he was interested, just busy.

I finally got an email on a Thursday evening, "I'm free tomorrow at 10:00 or at 11:00", to which I replied, "Great! See you at 10:00."

Then I frantically gathered my thoughts, turned the half-assed idea I had for a job into a full-blown proposal, and pitched myself to him. There was no job description, and no identified need for the position, but I told him he needed me.

About 3 days later, I sent him some research I had done that related to a question he asked during my proposal.

About a week after that, I followed up with an email telling him Company A had become an unpleasant place to be (or something like that--of course I finessed the language), and basically letting him know that I'd be leaving soon and would be available to work for him as an independent contractor, from my home, on a part-time basis.

He called me that afternoon and asked if I could do one small project, about an hour's worth of work, that he could use to show the Executive Management team my skills. If they bought it, he'd figure out a way to get me in on a contract and then I'd get paid for that bit, but if they didn't, I'd have to be willing to give them this work product for free. Sure--I told him I was totally willing to take that risk. I got him the project about 3 days later.

He called me Wednesday night before last as I was on my way to my last final for the semester. The conversation was fantastic, but I've already gone on long enough. Bottom line: I'm in his office 20-30 hours per week for the next 4 months. After that, we'll determine if we work well together, identify the next batch of projects to do, and either get me in as a regular employee, or extend my contract.

I started this morning and I'm so pleased to report I absolutely LOVE IT! I'm back to my old job, what I used to do in the Legal Department 1+ yrs ago before I moved into Technical Publications and Training. I know this job like the back of my hand; I love the work and I'm already impressing him with my talent (hee hee).

Sorry I didn't spill the beans as I was going through it, but I was so anxious and I didn't want to jinx it.

Oh, here are the 2 best parts: He gave me what equates to a 15% raise on the presumption that I'd be paying my own insurance (woo hoo!), and; he's having me payrolled through a San Francisco firm, which means I won't end up with a ton of 1099 untaxed income at the end of the year. It also means, as of July 1, I'm elegible for benefits through the SF firm who is my actual employer.

YAY!

Moral of this story: You won't get it if you don't ask for it. Man, how cool is my world right now? **GRIN**

Have happy, safe, fun weekends everyone. I'll be back from the music festival on Tuesday. Hugs.