Thursday, April 14, 2005

Chicago, So Far

When I stepped out of my hotel yesterday morning, I had a major stupid moment. It happened a split second after I thought to myself, "Man, it's really windy here!"

DUH...

********

I'm surprised at the businesses I've seen on the way to my office. In the short stretch between the hotel and the office, I pass by The Wall Street Journal, Lexus, ConAgra Foods, and something else big/major. I've also seen signs for General Mills and (again) other major companies. I guess I never realized just how major Chicago was on the playing field of Corporate America.

********

I'm impressed by the building I'm in this week (but then I'm easily impressed...). But ya know, when we have visitors from out of town, especially from out of state, we make a point to take them out for lunches and dinners; to make sure they're set up with anything they need and are happy and comfortable.

So far, I've had both my lunches alone. I didn't dine alone last night, but I wasn't with a co-worker. It's just weird. I don't think they're being exclusive, I just don't think they're thinking.

********

I miss Emily something fierce. Every week at school they work on one letter. This week it's the letter "P", so in honor of that, they had a Pyjama day yesterday. I really wanted to be part of that with her. But I talked to Kate on the phone this morning and she said Em had fun. I'm still sorry I missed it.

********

This week is going unbelievably slow. Considering the expense, etc. of flying me out here, you'd think they'd have an agenda, right? Nope. So far, I've been to exactly ONE meeting. One. I got here at this time yesterday, so that's an in-office equivalent of one complete day now. One meeting, one hour. What have I done with the rest? Mostly just sneezing. It seems I'm allergic to Illinois. Who knew?

********

I'm going to go see if I can find something to do. Not that I don't love y'all, but a girl's gotta do some work to make herself feel needed, ya know?

Bye!