Sunday, February 06, 2005

Here's the Scoop

Clearly I'm not going to be able to write about Thursday, Friday OR Saturday in any detail as I had hoped to.

In brief: Thursday was filled with lab visits, blood work, EKGs, pre-registration at the hospital...junk like that. It was a long, emotionally exhausting day, but I didn't cry.

Friday I had my intake appointment at law school. The admission person and I hit it off (at one point I accidentally referred to Eric as The Donor and she cracked up!). I have a couple more hoops to jump through, but everything is on schedule for me to start on March 28th. Woo Hoo!

Yesterday, my friend Bonnie came to visit me. She lives somewhere in Maryland very close to Washington DC--She's lived out there for 3 or 4 or 5 years now, and I've never been to see her! We went to college together. Finished our BAs and our MAs in the same programs. She's one of the smartest and funniest people I've ever met. You know how Mike does all those fabulous, funny things with language? Bonnie does the same thing. It kills me!

Anyway, we haven't seen each other in a while, but she came over for about 3 1/2 hours yesterday. It wasn't enough, but it sure was fun to see her again.

Today I'm going to a garden shop with my mom. I don't remember what she wants, but I'm sure it'll ultimately look lovely in our front yard. (I like having a nice yard, I just don't like making it happen--I'm SO not a green thumb!). Later, I'm taking Emily to a toy store. I have a ton of gift cards from her b-day & Christmas, so we're going to go have some "girl time" together and get her some fun things.

I have to work tomorrow--if it's anything like the last 3 days, I'll have actual WORK to do (hmph, go figure!), but I'll try to update again before I leave early early early Tuesday morning.

Here's the scoop:

Tuesday--Check into Hospital 6:30 am
Surgery scheduled 8:00 am - 11:00 am
Post-Op/Recovery--approximately an hour
Up and walking before dinner (yikes!)
Spend one night in Hospital.
Wednesday--Morning post-op check by doctor; probable release.
Go home late afternoon ('cause it takes that long).
Wednesday afternoon to Tuesday, March 22nd, recover.
Wednesday March 23, go back to work.

In the surgery, she's going to remove my right ovary and my entire uterus. She may have to remove my left ovary, too, but she's *really* going to try to leave it in. If she has to remove it, I'll be forced into early menopause, because with the autoimmune blood disorder, I can't take synthetic hormones. So send a prayer my way that I can keep the left one, ok? And if you don't believe in God, just send good thoughts my general direction.

That's it for now. I'll check back in as I can. Thanks everyone for your thoughtfulness and caring. It means a lot to me.