Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Yeah, yeah, whatever

The last Thursday before the New Year, I sent an email to our assistant General Counsel introducing myself, explaining that I had worked in our Legal Dept for our previous GC for 6.5 yrs, that I moved to Training hoping for a better career fit but think now that was a mistake. I went on to ask him if I could have my job back at the end of January when my replacement is leaving (who knew--but what great timing).

He responded almost immediately with a sort of "Whew, this has been keeping me up nights" email and asked if we could talk on Tuesday. He also asked for permission to talk to our previous GC, my old boss.

I said yes, of course and sent her a heads-up email. Her response was less than enthusiastic. Why? What's the problem, you freaking poison-pill? You're LEAVING--you've been LET GO! Why do you have to muddy the waters for the rest of us?

Anyway, blah, blah, blah. I emailed the new Asst GC yesterday asking when would be a good time to call. His reply was something short along the lines of, "Don't call me, I'll call you, after I've had a chance to talk to Old Boss."

Radio Silence since then. It's now been 2 full days. Seriously, she's on the way OUT THE DOOR, how busy can she be that she can't spare 5 minutes with this guy to give me a quick review? I was her best performer and her lowest paid employee. I think she owes me that much.

This morning, the gal who took my job (who also happens to be a friend, so we stay in touch) IM'd me to say that *this* part of the job would be going to so-and-so, *this* part would be going to a different so-and-so, etc., because "They" have decided not to back-fill her position.

Fuckers.

So I'm looking for a new job.

And my current boss, John, called me tonight. He's stuck in Chicago--his flight was cancelled due to weather and he's not sure when he'll get home. I did a stupid thing. I told him I was going to go to law school. He's cool--his response: "AwwRIGHT!" Then it started to sink in what that means to him.

I asked him to keep it quiet for now and I also asked him not to fire me before my surgery because otherwise I wouldn't get disability and I'd be screwed. He says he'll be cool about it because he's my friend and wants good things for me, but I'm feeling like a dumb-shit for having said anything.

On the plus side, I ran into our VP of HR this afternoon. We have a long history together, dating back before I ever worked for this company, so we spent about 40 minutes shooting the shit. When I told her that I was going to law school, she was VERY excited for me and gave me all sorts of sage advice. Thanks, Victoria. When I mentioned the need to change jobs, because of course I can't travel 40% of my time if I'm taking classes, I said I'd look first inside our company 'cause I've been there so long, etc., but would leave if I had to. She squeezed my shoulder and said, "Aimee, Company Name is a growing company. Don't worry about it."

Sometimes it's good to have friends in high places.

We'll see how it all shakes out. Wish me luck!