Thursday, January 27, 2005

Trophy Night Follow Up

Em was a gem yesterday morning when I took her to daycare, and as soon as we arrived, she ran to the kitchen and dove into breakfast (she usually sits in a chair, wrapped in her blanket, for about half an hour as she wakes up). I guess she was hungry.

After I picked her up, as we were driving home, I asked how her day was. We went over it bit by bit:
“What did you have for breakfast?”
“Eggs”
“Were they good?”
“Um, yeah. I was hungry.”
(laugh) “I bet you were!” “Then what?”
“Same as the other day before, Mommy. I went to the potty, then I got dressed, then I watched TV.”
“Then did you play?”
“No, then I had a snack.”
“THEN did you play?”
“Yes”
“then did you have lunch?”
(noise from the backseat, something between a choke and a snort) “Um, Mommy, I didn’t like my lunch today, ok?”
“But I gave you spaghetti. You love spaghetti!”
“But I'm not fond of spaghetti today, ok? I was bad. Bad, Mommy. I was very bad.”
(god, my child sounded like Rain Man!)

I promised not to give her spaghetti for lunch again.

Last night’s dinner was nearly a repeat of the night before, but I managed to nip it in the bud. I refused to make her a special meal, told her to sit down and eat what I served her, and to think about the night before—did she really want a repeat? Wonder of wonders, she ate her dinner last night without so much as a sneeze!

Heck, even bedtime was relatively easy.

Could the gods be on my side? Oh joy, could my luck with the red-head be turning?!

Nah—this isn’t a movie, this is real life (drat).

This morning I woke up an hour late (30 minutes before I was supposed to be at work. You know, the time at which I should be leaving the house), and Em was in a mood. She sniped at her grandmother, “Go away, we don’t need you!”, which just set me off. I’m not a morning person.

We eventually sorted it out, got apologies handed out all around, mended feelings, etc. I got to work an hour and a half late and have done nothing but blog since I arrived. I think I’ll head out for lunch in a bit. In fact, I may even leave early today. I could use some time at home with Emily.