Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Goodness

My mom, my 2 sisters, my niece, nephew, brother-in-law, step-brother, and I went to see Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events on the 24th. I don't care what the various reviews had to say--I thought it was absolutely wonderful! And so did everyone else in our group.

While we were gone, the dog got out (did I tell you Kate & Jeff brought their dog with them?). It doesn't look like she caused any damage, but she must have frightened the mail man, because in yesterday's mail I got a rather large amount of mail rubber-banded together with a note that read, "12/24: Dog Out". Jetta, their dog, is one of the friendliest dogs in the universe, unless you're a man who hasn't been introduced to her properly--then she'll just bark her head off at you. And her bark can be intimidating!

Anyway... my point is, yesterday I received Christmas cards from Celti and Regan, and they each had a picture of their baby (little boy and a little dog). THANK YOU, Ladies! You made my day yesterday, and that was no small feat.

****

I promised you some funny stories, so here are two Em stories that I rather enjoyed (thank god we're all anonymous, huh?):

My sisters and I were sitting at the dining room table doing god-only-remembers, getting ready for Christmas. Em and my niece were playing in Em's bedroom, when Teri (my younger sister) said, "Did you hear that?"

"No, what?" I said.

"I think Emily just said God Damnit."

"Really?!"

silence...

Emily's voice from the other room, "God Damnit, Storey!"

I tore into her bedroom and said, "Emily! You apologize to your cousin right now. That's not a nice word."

To which she replied, "Yes it is, Mommy. It has God in it. And you said it" ((pause)) "Twice."

I could not contain my laughter. Ah, shit. I guess it's time for me to clean up my language around the wee ones. Damn.

****

On Tuesday, Emily's daycare had a little Christmas party. When I picked her up at the end of the day, they had just finished snacking. Emily and I were at the door, saying our goodbyes to the other moms and Janet, the woman who runs the daycare, when Emily let out this ginormous burp. Janet said, "My goodness, Emily! What do you say?"

Em looked up at Janet, looked up at me, put up her right hand in a high-five gesture, smiled her impish grin and hollered, "GOOD ONE!"

Bwahhahahahahaha!

Man, I guess I need to take a class on proper parenting. But god she's funny!