Monday, November 01, 2004

Thanks, Dad.

I'll blog about the long weekend later, but tonight I want to share this little tidbit with you.

I was supposed to drive home today with my mom and my daughter, but due to a series of events, we were unable to come home together. I have to go to work tomorrow though (I simply can not take the day off), so I needed to figure out a way to get home.

Airline tix from San Luis Obispo to San Francisco with one day notice are in the $300-$400 range and take hours longer than they should (e.g.: San Luis to Los Angeles to Phoenix to San Francisco--Huh??). The bus makes a 6 hour drive into an 11 and 1/2 hour trip, getting me into town well past 1:00 am. There was no train running today. I couldn't find a car rental place that had any cars available for a one-way trip.

My dad bailed me out. He took the afternoon off and flew me home. In his little plane, it was a 3 hour flight. When he got back home shortly after 6:00, he called to tell me he caught a great tail wind and made it home in 2 and 1/2 hours. I didn't talk to him when he called--my roommate did. She thanked him again on my behalf for getting me home.

His response almost made me cry: "Yeah, well, she hasn't needed me to bail her out for a long time. I was glad I could do it."

Thanks, Dad. You're the best!