Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Bite-size Bits of Happiness (Updated)

It’s a grey day, so I’m going to write about some random bits of happiness to help stave off the gloom.

On Monday, my dad called me as I was heading out of the office for lunch. He was visiting his best friend who lives about 40 miles or so south of me. Said friend’s girl-friend had to do an errand in the town just north of mine, so she dropped him off at my office on the way up.

I’m glad he called, otherwise who knows if I’d have taken a longer-than-usual lunch and missed him. As it turned out, he arrived just as I got back from lunch. This week (and much of last and probably all of next…), I’m working on a rather large Installation Guide for one of our new products, and Monday afternoon I needed to take pictures of the product for the documentation. My dad showed up at just the perfect time to hang out with me outside as I was taking the pictures. So he didn’t slow down my work at all (in fact, he was quite helpful), and we got to hang out together for about an hour and a half. Very cool surprise!

*********

Monday evening, my mom, Emily and I went next door to return a pie plate to our neighbors, Paula and Stan (they brought over a delicious apple pie last weekend). While there, Paula asked if we could make some arm covers for her new couch. For whatever reason, the mfgr of the sofa wouldn’t do it, but she had the foresight to purchase additional fabric. Sure, no problem. Then my mom started asking about how they plug in their Christmas lights—see, we have no outlets on the outside of our house in front, only in the back. Stan, in all his neighborly kindness, explained that before he semi-retired and became a computer guru, he had been an electrician. Score! Stan came to our house yesterday morning and installed TWO external plugs for us—and he wouldn’t even let us pay for the materials. They are SO getting those arm covers for free. Man is it nice to have good neighbors for a change.

*********

Em didn’t sleep worth a shit on Monday night, but this is the happy place, not the complaining place, so I only mention that by way of explaining that she slept VERY well last night. The comparison turns this into a happy note.

*********

Speaking of Emily, my sister sent me some great photos of Em and my mom playing on the beach while they were visiting Kate & family the week before Halloween. Here are some for your viewing pleasure.



Emily4
Originally uploaded by saffronwoman.






Emily & Biya
Originally uploaded by saffronwoman.


















*********

My mom and I met at Starbucks today for lunch. We each got a coffee and a cookie and we shared a sandwich while we had pedicures at “our” place around the corner. I don’t get polish in the winter though, only the pedicure. My toenails look like they’d glow under a black-light they’re so white right now! Weird.

*********

As I mentioned above, I’m working on a rather large project right now, so please forgive me if I’m absent from blogland for a while. I’m trying to stay caught up, but you know how work always seems to get in our way here.

*********

Update:
I wanted to include these 2 additional things, but I forgot.

Last night was almost perfect. Emily was tired, but not cranky, so after dinner we took a bath together, washed each other's hair (sort of), brushed each other's teeth (sort of), then crawled in bed and read FIVE books together. Then when she fell asleep, she didn't wake up once. It was lovely.

Tonight, I'm going out to dinner with most of the folks who were in our Legal Department. Right about the time I left, so did two other people. Our whole little group sort of fell apart, so we vowed to meet at least once every couple of months for dinner. This will be the first one I'm able to go to and I'm very excited about it!