Tuesday, October 19, 2004

More Random Bits

Remember a few weeks back when Leese and I were joking about how the Bay Area news stations go on and on about “Storm Watch” whenever it rains? Well, it’s raining today, and sure enough, we’re on “Storm Watch 2004!”

Leese and I exchanged the following email this morning. Her last message made me laugh out loud—so hard, I spit my coffee all over my monitor (I really have to remember not to drink coffee, or anything else, while reading anything you guys send or post).

From: Leese
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 8:21 AM
To: Aimee
Subject: The Storm!

Good morning!
Isn’t it a shame that this rain is dominating Bay Area news right now? Just three weeks ago we were talking about Hurricane Jeanne and Ivan…
Oh…and this morning they issued one of those public service alerts for flood watch in Sonoma and Napa Counties. I just shook my head…
It’s not too bad where you are, is it?
Leese

From: Aimee
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 8:29 AM
To: LeeseSubject:
RE: The Storm!

It's SUPER windy and coming down in sheets, but nothing even remotely hurricane-like. I won't be surprised though if we have some flooding. We almost always do.

What's it like down there?

From: Leese
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 8:42 AM
To: Aimee
Subject: RE: The Storm!

It’s horrible. I can see destruction from my office window. Leaves everywhere. A twig is almost falling from a tree.

******

My doctor called me back yesterday. She concerned, too. She doesn’t want to perform a hysterectomy until she can rule out every other possibility, so she’s scheduling an appointment with the gastroenterology department so I can have a ((shudder)) sigmoidoscopy. Yeuch. A couple days after that’s done, she’ll have me come see her so we can look at everything else she mentioned.

She thinks I might have adenomyosis. In a nutshell that’s an “overgrowth of tissue between the layers of the uterine wall” It “causes symptoms similar to fibroids, such as heavy menstrual bleeding, pain, and swelling of the abdomen. But adenomyosis is typically located throughout the uterus, while fibroids are self-contained.” According to the information I found on-line, approximately 5 to 10% of patients assumed to have fibroids actually have adenomyosis. Drat. For more information, if you’re remotely interested, go here.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah… Because of the antiphospholipid syndrome (my blood clots too much & too fast), I can’t take any sort of hormone therapy, so she really doesn’t want to remove my ovaries if she can help it. We’re searching for answers. As I know more, I’ll post the answers.

******

A couple of days ago, Emily said to me, “Mommy, you’re fat and skinny!”

Always on the lookout for good news, I asked, “Oh really? Where am I skinny?”

She replied, “Everywhere!”

So I asked, “Well then, where am I fat?”

She gleefully announced, “Everywhere else, Mommy.”

Kids have such a great perspective on life….