Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Miscellaneous; I'm tired

Emily didn’t sleep last night. I went to bed early, hoping to get caught up some. I was so exhausted that I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. It was 9:30. I woke up with a start at 9:50 when I heard Emily crying. Seems she had locked herself into her bedroom. Damn. I got her out, tucked her in bed, and promptly fell right back to sleep.

I could hear her in the background noises of my dreams moving around. At about 3:00, I woke up when she came into my room & shut the door (rather loudly). I told her to get in bed, be quiet, and go back to sleep. She kept talking. I actually said to my lovely little girl, “SHUT UP!” I felt terrible, but not bad enough to stay awake & apologize.

I’m not sure what happened after that. I fell back to sleep again. At 4:30, she woke me up, asking me to help her find her Shouka Whale. Shit. Damnit. I found the whale and told her, in not the nicest terms, that I was going to wake her up in 2 hours for daycare and she wouldn’t have any right to whine at me. None. If she whined even the tiniest bit, I’d get angry. She went right to bed.

I don’t know if she slept during any of those intervals—I’m relatively certain she did NOT sleep between 3:00-4:30, but I’m hoping she did somewhere between 10pm and 3am. Despite the midnight playtime, she woke up happy as a little clam this morning. Thank god for small favors. Whew!

*****

I asked my boss last week for some new work. I’m not happy with what I’ve been given and I feel underutilized. Pretending to be busy all day long is more exhausting than actually BEING busy all day long! As Celti reminded me this morning, I need to be more careful about what I wish for. In the last 2 days, I’ve received way, way too much work. AND…I still don’t know how to do it!

I asked one of our senior technical writers for guidance. I need to know how to get started drafting this new document. I said, “Baby Steps, please!”. His reply? “Go get the PSD from so-and-so.”

Now, I don’t know what baby steps mean to you, but clearly they don’t mean the same to my co-worker as they do to me. When I say baby steps, I want you to say to me, “Ok, there’s a ‘Product Specification Document’, which we call a PSD, for each product we sell. It indicates every level of product specification you could possibly need for your manual. Go to so-and-so, get a copy of that doc, then come let me show you how to use it.”

BABY STEPS, Asshat! Hand feed me every.minute.detail. I don’t know how to do this; I’ve never done it before. I need your help and I don’t like having to ask the same question 15 ways before you give me a fucking answer!

So yesterday afternoon, I was given another assignment. I asked my boss for baby steps help. He laughed at me. But then he gave me the help I need. Thank God.

This morning, I received yet ANOTHER assignment. I think I know how to do this one, but how many manuals can a girl work on at one time? It’s getting excessive. I’m not entirely sure I like this new “career path” I’ve chosen.

*****

When I pick Em up from daycare today, we’re going to go looking again for beds for her. I think my mom has talked me into a bunk bed, if for no other reason than the additional bed gives us an extra place for my sister to sleep when she comes to visit.

Em is going to be so excited she probably won’t be able to sleep again.

(((YAWN)))